Saturday, June 16, 2007

First Post

This is a blog that I'm starting because I don't seem to have any other outlet for what I want to write about at present. There are a lot of things that I need to discuss, largely to do with peculiar beliefs, the bad behaviour that they can lead to, and other related dangers. Much of it will be about the Church of Scientology, but I will also be writing about other things that swim into my purview that I feel ought not to go unchecked. But before I get into any of that, I want to outline exactly where I am coming from.

I think that people should be allowed to believe in whatever the hell they want to believe in, and that it is absolutely their own business. However, I do not think that those beliefs are sacred. I do not think they are above discussion. I don't believe they should necessarily go unchallenged. When belief turns into behaviour, as it usually does, that behaviour is open for discussion, and criticism where necessary. What I write here I will strive to be thoughtful, respectful, accurate and truthful. At the end of the day, though, they are just my words and my thoughts. Do not think for a moment that I hope to inflict my worldview on other people. Do not think that I hope for my words and thoughts to be the basis of any kind of unethical or immoral behaviour towards other people. We're all on our own paths, and we're all seeking the truth. Maybe what I write here will mean something to you, and maybe it won't.

I'll leave off now with something someone said once:

" Do not allow the authority of any one person or school of thought to create a foregone conclusion within your sphere of knowledge."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on topic, and be respectful of one another.